Smoking’s impact on human health is well documented. Every year, May 31st is celebrated as World’s No Smoking Day. Today, smoking effects on dental implant surgery success can’t be ignored. This is why at EON Clinics, patients are advised to stop smoking prior to the surgery. Also, smoking is bad for oral hygiene. It’s important to discuss smoked affects on teeth implants.
How Smoking Affects Dental Implant Surgery
- The dental implant failure rate is higher in smokers than non-smokers.
- Smokers are at great risk of getting bacterial infection post-surgery.
- Instances of peri-implantitis after implant placement is observed higher in smokers
- The bone graft success rate reduces in smokers
- Cigarette smoking decreases blood flow to soft tissues in the mouth, It slows the healing speed
- Smoking can cause damage to salivary glands and thus increasing the risk of gum disease in later life
- Smoking accelerates bone loss in the jaw
Can a Smoker Undertake the Surgery?
Yes, a smoker can undertake the surgery but it differs from one patient to another. Our specialists at EON Clinic evaluate each patient and then make a decision whether to proceed with dental implant surgery or not.
How to Improve Chances for Successful Teeth Implant?
Stop Smoking Once the Surgery Date is Given
Firstly, the patient has to stop smoking for at least 2 weeks prior to the surgery date. This is done to prepare the body for anesthesia and reduce complications. As we already know, nicotine increases blood pressure and heart rate. This reduces oxygen flow to important organs like the heart and lungs. For the reasons mentioned, one needs to completely stop smoking before dental implant surgery.
Avoid Smoking Post Dental Implant Surgery
Post the surgery, the patient must not smoke for at least a month. The teeth implant surgery success depends on how quickly the implant fuses with the jawbone. During the healing period, one must completely quit smoking. Smoking ups the risk of the titanium implant not attaching properly to the bone.
Consult dental specialists
Dental implant surgery is one of the most sought and successful procedures in America. Even, smokers can check their eligibility after a thorough check-up at the dental clinics nearby. Smoking effects can be reduced if one follows the dentist’s advice.
Read More About Dental Implant Surgery here: https://www.eonclinics.com/what-are-dental-implants