- September 28, 2021
- Posted by: Nitin Bidani
- Category: Dental Self-Care Tips
During a dental visit, every dentist would have once answered the question: is Waterpik as effective as flossing? To an extent, yes. As per the American Dental Association (ADA), Waterpiks with an ADA Seal of acceptance can get rid of plaque. So what’s Waterpik anyways? It is a brand of water flosser or an oral irrigator. Essentially, Waterpik sprays water in the teeth to remove the lodged food particles. It’s an alternative for individuals struggling with traditional flossing that uses string-like material for cleaning teeth. In the article, we will be talking about one’s concerns, like is Waterpik as good as flossing or is Waterpik as good as flossing for small kids in detail. Read on
Is Using a Waterpik as Good as Flossing?
Waterpik is just like regular flossing you might be using in your daily oral hygiene routine. Here, the water is sprayed to dislodge the food particles and debris stuck between the teeth. This would stop the growth of bacteria and prevent plaque formation. Importantly, the water flossing reaches those places where even the toothbrush can’t reach. Also, Waterpik lowers the risk of developing cavities, gum disease, or bleeding.
Who are the Right Candidates to Use Waterpik?
One would prefer using Waterpik in the oral cleaning routine in case-
- Wear braces
- Fitted with dental implants
- Undertaken dental crowns procedure
- Non Removable dental bridge
Waterpik is convenient for individuals suffering from arthritis or who face problems in hand mobility.
Benefits of Waterpik
- Easy to use
- Reaches areas untouched by brushing
- Cleans the narrowly spaced teeth’s region
- Removed food debris easily
How to use Waterpiks?
Now, we have some knowledge to answer is using a Waterpik as good as flossing. So, let’s get down with a few tips about the Waterpiks to improve our oral health.
- Waterpiks don’t replace the toothbrush or conventional flossing.
- One has to brush the teeth twice a day but use the water flosser before and after compulsory
- Pour lukewarm into the flosser’s reservoir and then, place the flosser tip in your mouth.
- Try to use the water flosser while leaning over the sink
- Turn on the Waterpik and you’re ready to go clean.
- One should hold the water flosser at a 90-degree angle position to your teeth.
- The water is sprayed in a steady flow and cleans the dirty region between your teeth.
- Start from the back of the mouth before moving sideways to the front. Not just the teeth focus on the gum line, and the area or the spaces between each tooth.
For more information about how to use the Water Picks better, consult your dentist at the dental appointment. Plus, the dentist will be better suited to answering your question like is waterpik as effective as flossing in detail.
Note: The whole procedure would take around 2 minutes. Also, one should empty any extra water from the reservoir once done in order to eliminate the growth of bacteria.
So Really is Using a Waterpik as Good as Flossing?
So, still, you would be thinking is Waterpik as good as flossing? Getting input from your dentist is always the right choice. Book an appointment here or call us at 800-250-3000!. At the consultation, the dentist would brief you about the differences and similarities between the Waterpik and flossing. Irrespective of whether you believe is Waterpik as effective as flossing but following good oral hygiene is an absolute must.