How Does Coffee Impact Dental Implants?
Are you a coffee lover who has recently received dental implants? Thinking on how does coffee impact dental implants? You poor thing have to discontinue your intake of coffee or other caffeinated drinks for some time! But, why so?
For most patients receiving dental implants as a replacement for their missing adult tooth/teeth is exciting. Dental implants are titanium fixtures that are surgically installed into the jawbone. They act as the tooth’s root and help anchor the crown, bridge, or denture. They are best for patients who wish to restore a beautiful smile for a lifetime. Their feel, appearance, and functions closely resemble the real teeth.
Although getting dental implants can solve many problems, it’s crucial to follow post-surgery recommendations to avoid implant failure. Coffee-drinking habits after implant surgery can have an impact on dental implants. Keep reading to know how drinking coffee impacts dental implants.
Drinking Coffee Immediately After Dental Implants
Following dental implant surgery, the patients must modify their diet plan. In the first 24-72 hours, drinking hot coffee is out of the question. Doing so can cause gums to bleed and interfere with their ability to heal. Caffeinated coffee can dilate the blood vessels and increase blood flow or pressure.
As a result, the implant site may start bleeding. The hot temperature of the coffee can impair the ability of the implant site to form a blood clot. It could even disturb the newly formed clot. Furthermore, it can irritate the nerve endings within the tooth socket. That does not mean it’s allowed to drink cold coffee with a straw. If done, the straw can dislodge the blood clot formed on the implant site and cause bleeding.
Having caffeinated beverages like coffee after getting dental implants can impact osseointegration. It is a process wherein the implants fuse with the jawbone and stimulate its natural growth. This takes place over 2-3 months, during the healing period post-implant surgery. Therefore, restricting coffee intake is necessary to avoid implant failure caused by poor osseointegration.
Drinking Coffee for Long-Term with Dental Implants
After complete healing of the implant site, the patients can resume their normal eating of regular meals. They can start having coffee again. They can begin with small sips of decaffeinated coffee and check how their body reacts. If nothing is wrong, they can gradually increase their coffee intake.
Finally, if they like, they can resume their regular coffee intake. But, it’s better to avoid daily or excessive drinking of coffee. That’s because coffee can stain dental implants just as they stain natural teeth. This means the replacement tooth or teeth topping the dental implants can also become yellow.
All those who want to still drink coffee should protect their dental implants. They must drink coffee in one sitting at specific times of the day. Immediately after drinking coffee, they should brush and floss their teeth to avoid dental stains and plaque formation. It’s advised to limit the amount of coffee intake to 2 cups a day. If the patients keep sipping coffee all day long, they can expose their smile to staining pigments for extended periods.
Furthermore, their coffee must not contain milk and/or sugars. Adding milk or sugars can encourage the growth of mouth bacteria. In that case, the patients are more likely to develop an infection.
Drinking coffee too often may have a link with a patient’s dry mouth. Coffee can lead to dehydration. It could put the patient at greater risk of gum issues, bad breath, etc. In such cases, it is important to keep the smile clean and hydrated.
Moreover, coffee can harm both the prosthetic tooth and the remaining natural teeth. Coffee is an acidic beverage that can erode dental issues and soften teeth. Over time, this may result in weak or loose dental implants or restoration at its top.
How to Take Care of Dental Implants?
Caring for new dental implants is easy. It requires the patient’s cooperation with the dentist and their commitment to following their instructions. The post-operative recommendations include:
- Have a liquid diet for the first 24 hours and then slowly shift to a soft diet for 2 weeks. It’s allowed to have drinks soon after the implantation. The patients can have cold drinks to soothe their pain or swelling, if any.
- Do not rinse, spit, or touch the implant site until it heals.
- Drink an adequate amount of clear liquids or water.
- Avoid having any tough, crunchy, sticky, chewy, spicy, acidic, or hot foods or liquids for at least a week. This is important to prevent damage to implants.
- Do not consume alcohol or any caffeinated beverages including coffee and tea for a few days. This is essential to avoid hampering healing and reduce bleeding post-surgery.
- Avoid smoking as much as possible or better quit it forever. Smoking can impair healing and increase the risk of complications. It can cause gum disease, thereby leading to implant failure.
- Do not indulge in any vigorous physical activities for at least a day. Take proper rest.
- Brush teeth a day after the implant placement but avoid the implant site until it fully heals.
- Avoid sleeping with the head down or on the side of the implant. Use a bigger pillow to keep the head raised. It’s better to sit than lie down. Such actions can help reduce pain and congestion at the wounded site.
- Regularly visit the dentist for check-ups.
Dental implant Specialists at EON Clinics
If you are considering getting dental implants or have any questions regarding its care, contact EON Clinics experts. They can help you with comprehensive instructions at the time of your free consultation. The expert staff at EON Clinics is also there to monitor your progress in the treatment. They use cutting-edge technologies to assess the health of your new teeth and ensure your implants are successful.
If you have more doubts on how does coffee impacts dental implants? Then consult the dental experts at EON Clinics!
EON Clinics is a leading implant center in Chicago, Illinois employing top implant specialists. It offers all types of dental implants of high quality at reasonable rates. For more information about getting implants, talk to EON Clinics dentists today! Consulting with this practice can enable you to best prepare for receiving dental implants.