- November 29, 2021
- Posted by: seo.content
- Category: Miscellaneous
Searching for treatment options to straighten crooked teeth? Orthodontic treatments can help you achieve a beautiful smile by fixing crooked teeth quickly.
Crooked or misaligned teeth are the common dental concerns that many children and adults have. Everyone doesn’t need to have perfectly aligned teeth, variations are meant to be there in both deciduous and permanent teeth that are unique and add charm to the smile as well as a different personality. However, if the dental abnormalities lead to an aesthetically unpleasant smile, pain, and problems in speech, teeth functioning, sleeping, and oral health, then that self-conscious state can be reversed by realignment of teeth as recommended by the orthodontist. An orthodontist is a dental professional that is well-trained in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of any existing jaw and teeth irregularities like crooked teeth, bite issues, jaw misalignment, and crowded teeth.
Read along to know about why sometimes teeth show up crooked, how orthodontic treatments work, and explore some current orthodontic options that can help in straightening crooked teeth.
What Causes Crooked Teeth?
Baby teeth may become crooked when they are very small and are unable to completely cover the allocated gum space. Other potential precursors for crooked baby teeth that also affect permanent teeth can be genetic factors and heredity that result in shorter evolved jaw, poor nutrition, and poor myofunctional habits like sucking of thumb or on a pacifier, mouth breathing, or tongue thrusting. In some cases, a mouth injury or tooth decay of a child could lead to early fall of baby teeth resulting in slanted growth of the permanent teeth.
How to Straighten Crooked Teeth?
Orthodontic treatments involve the use of orthodontic appliances such as braces and Invisalign. They work by putting gentle pressure on the misaligned teeth to slowly and steadily guide them into the right place and help straighten crooked teeth. It is important to apply the right amount of pressure at precise times for the perfect transition of teeth into a straight smile.
How do Dentists Straighten Crooked Teeth?
- There are several in-office treatment options available for straightening crooked teeth among which the most popular ones are discussed below. Each of these methods caters to the different lifestyles and needs of the patient.
- Conventional metal braces: These are affixed to the front of the teeth using a series of metal brackets, elastic bands, a flexible archwire, and a bonding material. The time taken to straighten teeth by these braces depends mainly on the person’s condition. Usually, the desired results can be achieved anywhere between 5 months and a few years. They are good options for both children and adults who have strong teeth, bone tissues, and gums.
- Invisalign: These are nearly invisible braces that are only custom-designed for teenagers and adults. They involve the use of clear plastic dental trays that fit over each tooth just like a mouthguard and others can’t even notice them. Typically, the two sets of removable aligners must be worn for 22 hours every day and be replaced or removed twice a month. Unlike metal braces that make cleaning of teeth difficult, these types of braces can be removed from the mouth and brushed or flossed. On average, the treatment may take a duration of about 11 months to complete.
- Removable retainers: These are applied to the patients with mildly crooked teeth that may have been straightened with braces earlier but have shifted from their place.
- Teeth straightening surgery: This is the best approach to straighten severely crooked teeth because of a misaligned jaw. It involves the repositioning of the gums and bones by a minor surgical procedure that keeps the teeth in place. For severe cases of misalignment that affects chewing or biting ability and speech, more invasive orthognathic surgery may be recommended by the orthodontist.
Ways to Fix Crooked Teeth Quickly:
- Invisalign Express: This orthodontic treatment makes use of 3D computer graphics technology for getting rapid smile transformation by shifting teeth and help. Ideally, this is chosen by patients who want all the benefits offered by Invisalign but with faster results.
- Accelerated Orthodontics: It involves an additional procedure to straighten crooked teeth after placing traditional metal braces to lessen the time required to get a straighter smile. One of the most popular options is AcceleDent, which is an FDA-approved medical tool that can be used at home for proper adjustment of teeth by stimulating the required jawbone regeneration. The device makes use of soft pulse technology to provide a steady, moderate pressure on the teeth. When it is used for just 20 minutes per day along with metal braces, the teeth can be straightened faster.
- Damon System: It is a revolutionary orthodontic treatment that makes use of self-ligating braces (lightweight, clear braces) which omits the need for metal or elastic ties on braces. In a matter of weeks, the patient can achieve a widened smile and improved teeth and facial appearance by this treatment.
- Instant Smile Method: It involves a combination treatment of porcelain veneers, ceramic crowns, and dental bonding with composite resins.
Want to know more about orthodontic options in detail that help to straighten crooked teeth. Schedule a consultation with a dentist expert today!